Bicycle Station, Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto (opening Spring 2019)
The City Hall Bicycle Station is a key component in the revitalization of Canada's largest city square, located one level beneath Nathan Phillips Square. Separated from the surrounding 24-hour parking garage and pedestrian "P-A-T-H" by a decorative metal mesh screen, it provides approximately 200 secure bicycle parking spaces and new shower and change facilities for the city’s cycling community.
The project integrates archival content from the Canadian Architectural Archives and Toronto Reference Library. Using etched glazing and large format graphic tile, the project feature images and text from the 1958 New City Hall Design Competition and its international cast of 513 competition entrants.
The project re-appropriates thirty (30) former car parking spaces, converting them into a new space dedicated to urban cycling. A continuous series of spaces that include single and double-tier bicycle racks storage, service repair rooms, and fully air-conditioned (heated/cooled) change rooms are organized across the continuously ramped surface of concrete parking garage slabs, weaving carefully around and beneath existing mechanical and electrical systems.
Exploring the intersections between contemporary urban infrastructure and a pivotal moment in Toronto’s modernist architectural history, the project integrates archival content from the 1958 New City Hall International Design Competition into its design vocabulary. Using images and text provided by the Panda Collection, Canadian Architectural Archives (University of Calgary), Marilyn and Charles Baillie Special Collections Centre and Toronto Collection, Humanities & Social Sciences Department (Toronto Reference Library) , the project feature excerpts from the competition brief and original design proposals from the international cast of 513 competition entrants.
photographs by Scott Norsworthy